This painting was the product of a number of studies and a couple of failed attempts. The picture below (bottom left) shows a larger composition, which I started but quickly abandoned, since the flowers had changed too much on the following morning and I decided to paint smaller (Actually a lot of the flowers were trimmed by landscapers a couple of days into my work. Fortunately, some flowers were left behind, so that I could continue pursuing a painting.) The picture below (bottom right), shows a very similar composition to my final painting, which I attempted to complete on location over a couple of sessions. At the end, I was unhappy with my efforts outdoors and decided to take my memories and studies to the studio.
For the studio painting, I decided to pick an even earlier time of day - before sunrise and while the street lamps were still lit. This is when I found the colors most appealing. I went back out and created a couple of color studies of the sky and the flowers and that time. I also made a detailed drawing and combined these as my references for the final painting.
At the end, I was pleased with my painting. I also very much enjoyed my mornings, greeting the sunrise and the early joggers and neighbors walking their dogs.